Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 5 (372) - So Excited - with new photo at end....scroll down!!!!!!!

Shew!  Glad I put that counter on this blog, or I'd already be lost on which day it is and how many more day I have to go!  ha ha ha
I have been doing so much and am so excited!  Thursday the kids and I went to Publix to try to find quinoa.  Now this is something I've never tried before and I knew it was going to be something unique when I didn't see it in the Wal-mart baking/spices isle.  LOL  I needed some assistance from the clerk, but he took me straight to Quinoa linguine.  I didn't need linguine!  It took us awhile, but we finally found it. 
And now I am the proud owner of organic quinoa.
I plan to use it in a salad from Oh She Glows.  Stay tuned for my blog on it!

Also from Oh She Glows, Memories In The Baking, and The Old Farmer's Almanac, I decided to make Strawberry Soup.

Now I had no idea what it would taste like.  But I loooooove strawberries - so it has to be good right?  I looked at several recipes and decided that simple would be best.  So I went with Memories In The Baking's recipe sans the wine ~ for 2 reasons: 1 - I didn't have any wine and forgot to buy Rose while we were out.  2- I really didn't see the need for alcohol in this healthy recipe.  If I had had 7-up on hand, I might have added that instead, but needless to say, it turned out delicious!  Also, I used low fat sour cream instead of Greek yogurt or regular sour cream. 
 The kids watched with curious eyes as I prepared this very strange-to-them-sounding soup!  We ate one strawberry for every three that I cut! 
Look how ginormous this strawberry is!  It was fun to look at, but even more fun once I started slicing it...


The slices looked like bright red lips!  I showed the kids how to pucker up with them and we all laughed!


This step was hard for me, as I'm learning.  The recipe called for 1/2 cup granulated sugar.  "Sugar is bad!  Sugar is bad!" ~ I hear Tosca's wisdom in my mind.  But I know you have to add sugar to strawberries to create that wonderful juice!  I can't bring myself to start using Sweet N Low for anything else now that I'm just about weined off of it with  my coffee.  I added the sugar little by little, but didn't use the whole half cup.  Look at that sugar glisten!
The finished product was PURE STRAWBERRY HEAVEN!!!!
My daughter LOVES it and ate a whole bowl and then wanted more (I didn't give in though).  I really loved it, but thought maybe 1/4 cup of sugar would do?  This is definitely a recipe that will be part of our summer for many years to come!!!

Lots to say today - sheesh!
I knew that I was going to make pork chops today.  Normally I'd make mashed potatoes with it and green beans.  But I felt devilish and decided to try mashed cauliflower potatoes instead.  Now, I am a mashed potato fanatic.  No milk in my yukon gold mashed potatoes - not smooth enough?  Add another stick of butter and a few more shakes of salt.  Those are the ONLY ingredients in my potatoes.  But I was willing to try the cauliflower substitute.  Because I was trying to be sneaky, I didn't get any photos, the flash would have brought in inquiring minds.  I chopped the cauliflower and steamed it.  But without a food processor I had trouble getting the desired consistancy I wanted.  Into the blender it went, but then I was busted.  Hubby said, "I don't  want to drink my dinner, Sheri!!!"  He has blender and food processor confused with a juicer.  LOL  It worked a little better but my blender keeps locking up, so I just used the electric mixer which shot cauliflower all over the counter.  Grrrr!  I had enough!  I grabbed a spoon and tried the half mashed, half invasive looking mixture and it was goooooood!!!!   Upon presentation to the table, I got a lot of sour faces, but everyone tried them.  Hubby said "Eh, I can take them or leave them."  My daughter ate all of hers.  But my son LOVED them, ate them all, and then asked for 2nds and ate all of those!!!!  I think they were a huge success.  I did explain to them that I would never try to pull this off as mashed potatoes, but that they were a nice back burner to the old carb, butter and salt filled delite we rarely have anymore.

And now for my big excitement!  Although I am focusing on my 40th birthday (I still can't believe I'm doing that - focusing on it), I have to get through my 39th birthday first.  What I really really really really really want is tickets to the Motley Crue concert coming up on the 3rd here in Nashville!  Unfortunately it is a no go. I won't get into the crazy reasons why, but I almost can't even think about the concert happening and not being there without it hurting a little.  Anyway, I'm realizing with all my new recipes and food experimentations, that sometimes a food processor really is the way to go.  For example making almond butter or mashing steamed cauliflower.  So I was Googling and trying to learn about these wonders of the kitchen and came across this one on Amazon.  I am soooo excited. 
Cuisinart DLC-8S 11-Cup Pro Custom 11 Food Processor
I went ahead and ordered it today.  So now I can do lots of things here in my kitchen with just the touch of a button.  It's not the same as having Nikki Sixx spit fake blood on me during Kick Start My Heart, but it is something I'm looking forward to - the food processor, not necessarily Nikki Sixx!  ;p


oooh I found another good photo - throwing fake blood!  LOL

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Sheri this post put a great big smile on my face! You have been making some wonderful discoveries and I always look forward to each and every moment. Sorry to hear about the concert maybe you can have him spit blood on you for your 40th.

Jane said...

What a FUN day you had! And you didn't even include that you painted Elaine's bed room too! I feel like such a slug. Well, I better get moving and get my Saturday going. Keep up the fun!