Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 18 (358) Much Better

Why am I smiling in this photo from this morning?  First of all it was my self proclaimed Casual Friday.  After my day yesterday, I just wanted to wear something comfortable that was not my pajamas.  I kept only one scrub top from the years I worked in the doctor's offices and hospitals - my favorite one, the pastel tropical one.  I actually kept it hung up in my closet.  Today was a good day to wear it - although the way I'm sitting in this photo, it looks like I have a butt shelf.    LOL  And that red wall is really really red in this picture!  LOL
But the 2nd reason I am smiling is because the last thing I did before bed last night, when I was so stressed, and upset, and just about in tears (again, but for different reasons), was check my work email.  My results were in from my QA on my 4th set of practice charts.  Remember, if I haven't said it 100 times already we need 95% across the boards!  Yesterday, I had 100, 95, 96,  and 100% .  When I read that - I did just about cry.  For those of you who don't know I'm a medical coder.  Now, my specialty is within coding is to audit charts - inpatient and outpatient,  for correct coding procedures with HCC (heirarchial coding) codes and error and coding codes.  in general - I'm looking at your chart (if your Medicare) and pulling out codes (diagnosis')  that are only Medicare Advantage approved and making sure if those codes have enough support.  For example the dr cannot just say, Sheri has breast cancer.  That doesn't cut it.  He has to tell me not only if the patient is being treated, but how - chemotherapy, radiation, medication.  And if they are on medication for how long and it cannot be over 7 years.  So for just about every diagnosis that is HCC I also have to make sure it's either chronic, degenerative,  and if not but is still HCC (confused/bored yet?) is there enough information to support the code.  So it does get quite specific, tedious, and OCD.  Most coders are very OCD!!!!  So to code 184 pages of teeny tiny type, where the dr's don't give half the information you need, let alone follow the rules of the minimum they need to include in a patient chart (pt name, DOB, dr signature, and credentials), and get 100% is very very good.
This is the email that followed later this morning.  It's from my boss's boss - the big wig, and she sent it out to the entire staff included in this week's Boot Camp!

How awesome that we all got over 90%?  And how grateful and blessed I am to have gotten 100%.  Tammy got 99%.  As you can see, Tracey still continues to add an addition R in my name!  LOL

I had more charts today, but was in good spirits!  The kids were cooperating beyond belief in letting me get my work done.  It was raining, so they were more than happy to read books, work on search words, color, and play Leggos!  Lunch came about and I was in crunch time.  What to make quick that won't really interrupt my work (we're timed on our chart progress - yes, more stress!!!).  I threw some whole wheat linguini (We'd been watching Ratatouille) in some water and returned to work.  Then when it was done poured warmed organic marinara over it and the kids LOVED IT!!!!  I did too!



Max, my shadow!  Sometimes I've wanted to just tear my hair out with him, he is my true little buddy! 

This was yesterday after work.  I deserved some wine.  I hadn't had Shiraz in ages!  For me it's a memory wine.  Fall/winter old friends.  Brings back many relaxing memories!

So the week ended well!  I just received notice I'll have to work some tomorrow, but I'm okay with that.  Then I hope to get some good humid sweaty exercise in!!!!  I think my body really really needs it.
I hope anyone that reads this blog understands, I am not perfect.  I vent.  I rant.  I will try my best not to curse or swear!  But I am human, and hope you can take me in all emotional aspects!

1 comment:

Jane said...

You are AMAZING! Don't ever doubt yourself.