Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hum a little treat



This weekend I wanted to try my hand again at humus.  Remember this summer?  The cement looking black bean citrus humus that no one, including me, liked?  It's taken awhile to get over that. 
Today a friend brought store bought Sabras roasted red pepper humus to work and it was delicious.  I've always like this, but it's been awhile.  After enjoying it way too much,I thought - I'm gonna make my own from scratch! 
The hardest part was finding and then stirring the tahini!!  The people at Publix are always so friendly and willing to help me find the new and sometimes strange things I'm looking for (like the quiona that time - ha ha ha).

Okay, so here we go!  Chickpeas - check!  Garlic - check!
I just love how things look in my food processor. 


Then this very thick, separated and hard to work with tahini.  I'll be honest, I had no idea what tahini was.  I thought it'd be liquid - maybe like a martini (ha ha).  But no it comes in a Crisco like can.  I'm not sure if all tahini is like this or if I just had the one can that has sat on the shelf since this Publix opened, but it was very thick.  And tahini is a creamy puree of roasted sesame seeds.  So that's what McDonald's does with all the seeds that fall off the Big Mac's!!!


After processing the chick peas, lemon, tahini, and garlic until smooth, in goes the basil and roasted red peppers.  Looks like hearts!!!!  BLAH!


I spooned it into individual Pampered Chef glass dishes and chilled for about 30 minutes.  Then I grabbed some pita chips and dug in.  It was AWESOME!!!!

And today I weighed in for our Hold The Stuffing contest at work.  You had to be within 2 pounds of your pre-holiday weight and I was!!!  Yeay!  So they threw my name into the drawing for several $50 gift cards.  I also received my t-shirt for walking 350k+ steps in the Start! program!!!!
I may never get a 5K t-shirt, but I have my Vandy heart tshirt!!!

1 comment:

Jane said...

That DOES look GREAT! So nice to find a good, healthy snack! Did the kids try it? I's so proud of your staying within the weigh! You are killing it in 2012!