Monday, April 4, 2011

Wake Up Call

Well I've not been here because of busy week wrapping up and then took off to Girl Scout camp with my daughter. 
You hear talk of school lunches being so horrible, but I never expected Girl Scouts to follow such a trend.  Girl Scouts is supposed to be about shaping young girls and for adults to serve as example to these young ladies.  Unfortunately there is no way to describe a large percentage of the adult women at this camp other than to say over weight to grossly obese.  Here is a photo I took of the leaders relaxing.


Friday night we had a snack at about 8pm of chocolate pudding, Oreo cookies, and gummy worms to make "dirt."  Cute idea, but not for an 8pm snack.  The them of the weekend was Topsy Turvy - girls could wear mix matched clothes etc.
 
So Saturday morning arrived to find us eatting large slices of pepperoni pizza
and peaches in heavy syrup.  I apologize for my washed out photo from the flash!
Keep in mind that is a full sized dinner plate and the pizza lops over the edges!
This "breakfast" alone had to be close to 800 calories!
Tiny boxes of cereal were an option but only as an alternate. 


Lunch was hotdogs, 4 different choices of potato chips, carrots, and pineapple.  
At least they offered some veggies - a healthy side! 
Look how healthy I was except for the handful of potato chips!  I had carrots, pineapple, and peperoncini's on my nitratical!



Saturday dinner was, of course, breakfast consisting of pancakes with thick syrup, 
2 large sausage patties or thick sliced bacon. 
The pineapple upside down cakes were made out of the large sized tuna cans. 
Again you could have the miniscule box of cereal instead. 

No snack Saturday night that I remember.  And then Sunday, again, we had large slices of pepperoni pizza.  I should also mention, 2 of everything was served and once all girls/adults went through, anyone could go back for 2nd's!!!!  And many did.  I kept a close eye on Elaine's intake.  When we got home, I craved salad and veggies!!  So we had huge salads with slices of sirloin on top with more salad and more salad!!!  HA HA HA
I was very disappointed in the choices and quantities of food for these girls and the sad condition of the leaders they are to follow.  Also dinner was from 6:30-8:30pm?  Who eats this late?!?!?!

I was the only mom in our group who did the obsticle course.

Amazingly enough, I lost 2 pounds this weekend!  I couldnt' believe it!
So it was quite a learning experience and I'm thrilled to say I know we, as a family, eat so much healthier than many of these girls and are so much more active!!!

1 comment:

Jane said...

You are SOOOOOOOO right! The girls in your troup are very lucky to have a strong, bright, and inspiring woman to look up to! I only hope that more like-minded women will step up and lead these girls AND the leaders. As you know, we all need inspiration and and guidance (maybe you have found your perfect role!).