Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 282 - Clean Eatting Recipe

I love getting my Clean Eatting magazine each month!  My daughter and I get so excited and sit down together, flipping through the pages, gazing at all the mouth watering photos....and then never make the recipes.  Lack of time, lack of groceries.
But this month's cover looked really good and did make me hungry just lookoing at it.  So I got all the ingredients and made it last night. 
Southwestern Turkey Meatball Skillet Supper:

Now granted, we were in a rush to head out for a performance of Cinderella, so I was not able to take the usual time to get a great clean photo graph!  However, I just can't help but notice it does not look as bright and fresh as the magazine cover:

Wiping the bowl might have helped....like I said we were in a rush and by the time the above photo was taken we'd already dug into it.

Both kids were apprehensive about this dinner when they came to the table.  My daughter, at least, was interested and willing because there were meatballs.  My son, he wasn't having it.  Pouting, squirming, making gross faces, making sad faces.  I said TRY IT!   If I present something new and possible strange looking, my only request is to try it first.  Well he wouldn't.  I had to let our dog out and I told him he'd better have tried it by the time I got back.  When I returned, slouched in the chair with his lip hanging almost to his lap, my daughter said, "He said he's gonna write in his journal at school tomorrow that mommy made the grossest dinner ever!!!!!!"  Now after working 8.5 hours and spending 2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic, I was not in the mood to come home and be insulted by my Clean Eatting dinner that was good.  "If you don't eat that, you'll get NO SNACKS at the theatre tonight!!!!"  Well after much unnecessary drama, he did eventually try the dinner.  Then suddenly, as I was cleaning up, his bowl was emptying.  Then he said, "Mom, it really wasn't that bad."  I turned around to see his bowl just about empty.  I had to contain myself as I said, "Oh good.  I'm glad you decided to try it.  Thank you."  He said, "I didn't say it was GREAT though."  And I said, I understand that, sometimes new things taste good and sometimes new things are just okay.  And I told him that coming back after such bold negative statements to tell me it wasn't so bad, was a pretty hard thing to do and that I  was proud of him.  My daughter, hearing all of this, came around the corner with her hand held high for him to smack said, "Way to fix your mistake!!!!"  Ha ha ha
Hubby tried it and said, "That is crazy good, babe!"
So 3 out of 4 members of the household enjoyed it, and 1 said "it was wasn't that bad."

1 comment:

Jane said...

I LOVE it! I so proud that Owen tried it. Colors change under different lighting. I thought it looked really GOOD!