Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I feel so......taken advantage of

Okay I've been loving my Morning Star Veggie Burgers.  I've tried the spicy black bean, the griller's prime, and now the basil parmesean.  I was feeling SOOOO proud of myself, so "with it" eating Vegan, feeling so green and healthy.
Well tonight a friend and I are discussing our cravings lately.  I just drive past Burger King and smell those fresh grilled burgers and my right blinker automatically turns on.  I mean, really, who can deny a $1.49 jr whopper?  Well since  Veggie Burger's have come into my life I've done pretty well driving right on past BK to my home for Veggie burgers with all the veggie fixings.  But as Chris and I talked tonight she asked, "What is in them, cuz I don't like peppers."  And I was blank.  Actually, I've never LOOKED.  Well Loe and Behold I was speechless! 

MorningStar Farms® Grillers Prime® Veggie Burgers

If it's prime, steakhouse flavor you crave, then get this burger on your plate pronto. It's savory, a little smoky, and best grilled and served on a bun, topped with whatever makes your mouth water.
• 170 calories
• 17g protein
• 39% less fat*
*Morningstar Farms® Grillers Prime® Veggie Burgers (71g) contain 9g fat per serving, compared with regular ground beef (71g) containing 15g fat per serving.

Ingredients:

TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WATER FOR HYDRATION), CORN OIL, SUNFLOWER OIL, EGG WHITES, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CORNSTARCH, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, ONION POWDER, SPICES, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN, WHEAT, AND SOY), GARLIC POWDER, POTATO STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, SUCCINIC ACID, SUGAR, NONFAT DRY MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, WHEAT FIBER.

I mean, what is maltodextrin?  and autolyzed yeast extract?  Caramel coloring?  Onion POWDER?!?!?!
I feel so cheated and lied to and decepted!  How could a VEGGIE BURGER contain NO REAL VEGGIES!?!?   I feel like I was reading the back of a Velveeta Cheese box with the long unpronounceable names.
I'm just a little taken back right now.  The giant leap I thought I'd made really was just a lateral hop.  =(

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Sheri,

It has been so wonderful watching learn and grow in your eating experience we can not grow and change if we are unwilling to look at the hard cold truth. If that is in a veggie burger what is in the burger king burger?